History of Cincinnati
By Published Sep 14th, 2016
The historical city of Losantiville, Ohio was founded in 1788. It was first named Losantiville, which meant "opposite the mouth of the river". In 1790, the name of the town was changed to Cincinnati. It was named for Roman general Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus. He was famous for laying down his plow, going off to war to take command of Rome's army, and then picking up his plow again when the war was over.
It was known as the Queen City of the West because of its' significant growth during the early 1800s. Another nickname during the same time was Porkopolis due to its meat processing abilities. Locals have been calling it Cincy for many years.
Located in the bluegrass region of Southwestern Ohio, Cincy is on the Ohio River. Across the river is Northern Kentucky. The two regions are connected by the Cincy/Northern Kentucky International Airport.
Famous people from the city include baseball's Pete Rose, first man on the moon Neil Armstrong, and Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin. Actress Sarah Jessica Parker is from the city too. Cincy is also home to the Tyler Davidson Fountain, a nine-foot high statue representing the Genius of Water.
The Cincinnati Red Stockings, now called the Reds, was the first professional baseball team in the country. The University of Cincinnati is the first established city college. Another first is the first heart-lung machine. It was developed at Cincy Children's Hospital for open heart surgery.
Cincy is noted for two buildings. The first is the Music Hall. It is made of three and a half stories of red brick in a style that is described as Romanesque or Victorian Gothic. The architect responsible is Samuel Hannaford and the building opened in 1878. Another historic building is Union Terminal, known for its art deco style. Built in 1933, it was designed to create order out of the chaotic railway lines. Today the building houses the Museum Center.